Sunday, November 20, 2005

Top of the Morning...

Another beautiful brisk sunny morning here in eastern New England. At dawn I took the 20 minute ride from Haverhill to Salisbury (North Shore) for a walk on the beach.

On top of my mind during my walk was an upcoming trip to Louisiana next Friday. Since I'll be reporting here I thought it would be helpful to explain the purpose of the trip.

As I watched Hurricane Katrina I had flashbacks to the many experiences I had working with the anti-poverty program in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in the late Sixties and early Seventies. These experiences may explain why I considered those hurricane victims at the Superdome and the Convention Center as "my people."

I've been working on a memoir of my Louisiana years.

The post-Katrina trip "home" to Louisiana will help provide some kind of context for the memoir.

Of course I'm also making the trip South because I want to see for myself some of the damage and also talk to people about the future challenges. I've a few old friends that I'll be counting on for local insights. And, of course, I'll be reporting each day here on this blog. I might even upload a few photos!


Update:

Let me know if you have a particular question regarding the post-Katrina recovery efforts that you would like me to check out while I'm in New Orleans. Send your question to eddeevy@cs.com