Monday, July 17, 2006

Looking for answers...

First a caveat. I have no unique insights into the events unfolding in the Middle East although I've had a long-standing interest in the Israeli-Palestinian issue. At one time, back when Jimmy Carter was President, I believed that a solution would eventually be found to this intractable conflict.

This past weekend, like many others, I spent a lot of time thinking about the events unfolding in Israel and Lebanon...and searching for some objective commentary. It's not easy to find. In the blogosphere many of the comments are inflammatory. Some are downright anti-Semitic.

I did find a few informative resources. During the last few days Billmon has been publishing some insightful commentary. And Juan Cole, a professor at the University of Michigan, has been providing useful commentary. Unlike many of the TV commentators, Billman and Cole attempt to see what is happening from two perspectives.

Yesterday afternoon a friend asked how I thought this conflict would unfold. I gave an honest answer. I don't have a clue. Any thoughts?