Friday, July 14, 2006

Chaos in the Middle East...

Yesterday I visited a very good friend at the State House in Boston and we went to a local pub for lunch. We talked politics. Like myself, he's a political junkie.

My friend Jack and I agreed that the situation in the Middle East could easily get out of hand... and the consequences are scary to imagine. Bush has pointed an accusatory finger at Iran and Syria. What if Israel, with U.S. support, attacks either of these countries? Hell could break loose.

It's at times like this I think of the advice of that young black man in California who had reason for revenge: "Why can't we all just get along together?" Of course this advice is too simplistic for the incredibly complex problems in the Middle East but it does suggest that bombing and killing is a stupid enterprise.