Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Goin' home to Louisiana...

On Friday morning I'll be traveling from Boston to Louisiana for a brief four-day visit. I'll be reporting on the trip here on this blog.

The reasons for the trip are two-fold.

I'm working on a memoir of years spent in Louisiana in the Sixties. The "homecoming" trip this coming weekend will allow me to re-live an extraordinary personal transformation resulting from involvement in the civil rights movement.

It was out of my work as supervisor of a VISTA project in Baton Rouge that I discovered "the other America."

My second reason for traveling to Louisiana has to do with post-Katrina efforts to rebuild New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. I hope to talk to some locals about what they see as the big challenges that need to be addressed.