Friday, April 21, 2006

Breaking news: Holywood stars have babies...

Sometimes in the morning I turn on the NBC's Today Show to get the news headlines. With the TV in the background, I go online to check out my favorite news publications such as the Guardian (UK) or the Independent (UK) or the New York Times.

The lead story yesterday on the Today Show had to do with celebrity babies. There was an interview with someone from People magazine plugging their special edition on celebrity babies. No mention of American casualties in Iraq or genocide in Sudan. There was yet another story about that girl that went missing in Aruba last summer and a story defending the three young (white) men accused of rape at Duke University.

Now I have to confess that I don't give a shit about Hollywood celebrities. And I don't have any interest in knowing about their private lives. Actually, I rarely go to the movies as most of them are too violent for my taste. What's more, I have heard more than I ever needed to hear about Natalie Halloway.

Hollywood celebs producing babies is more than a one-day story. This morning the Today Show again led off with the celebrity babies story...but with a new twist. According to Matt Lauer the reason the celebrity babies are getting so much attention is because Americans have an insatiable appetite for this kind of story. So, don't blame the sleaze-mongers in the media...blame the bad taste of the American people.

As I'm listening to Lauer interviewing someone about the megabucks some photographer can get for a photo of Tom and Katie's new baby I'm trying to understand what all of this means. Am I the only one that doesn't give a shit about ever seeing a photo of that baby? An informal phone survey of friends that I conducted last night revealed NOT ONE OF THEM had the slightest interest in anything to do with Tom Cruise's baby.

If you believe that celebrity babies should be the lead story on NBC's Today Show news please post a comment and give us your reasons.