Thursday, September 22, 2005

Same Old Slightly Concealed Racism

"The question is do we really want to flood New Orleans with Money"

Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.)
The Washington Post

Kingston went on to say he detected a building hostility towards New Orleans among his constituents. If you have lived in the Deep South, as I have, you know he is referring to his white constituents.

Reading Kingston's comments reminded me of another U.S representative who had great sensitivity to his white constituents. His name was John Rarick and he represented East Baton Rouge Parish in the early Seventies. He was a member of the KKK.

At one time I wrote a letter to Walter Mondale asking for support on legislation affecting the anti-poverty program. Sent a copy to Rarick who was my representative. Rarick, in his response, basically told me to go to hell. Here's part of his letter:

"Your activities in the Baton Rouge area are well known to all Louisiana taxpayers and citizens. You have an invincible record of hurting the chances of the poor and agitating to worsen race relations.
I think that I speak plainly for the overwhelming majority of the people of my district when I advise you that I will do nothing to defeat the President's Reorganization Order."

He was referring to President Nixon. Again, like Kingston, he was referring to the white people of his district.

How depressing. Not much has changed in the last 30 years.

What do you think?