Monday, June 12, 2006

Guidelines for posting comments...

Up to this time I've resisted suggestions that I develop "rules" for posting comments. What I really like about blogs is that they create the possibility of a constructive conversation with each person entitled to express their own opinion...even if this opinion contradicts the views of the blog publisher.

What I've learned over the past few weeks is that a troll with evil intent can totally undermine the possibility of an intelligent discussion.

I'll formulate several guidelines for posting comments on this blog in the near future. In the meantime, let me say that comments should be published using the real name or the assumed name of the commenter. No comments using the "Anonymous" signature, please.

In the future any comments that contain overtly racist or sexist material will be removed. Likewise, comments containing ad hominum attacks on any member of the Katrina Memo community will be removed.

I hope these general guidelines will make this blog a more welcome place for everyone to express his or her opinions.


Update:

Turns out this blog is not the only one experiencing hateful trashy comments. Check out this post from TalkLeft.