Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Iraq is disintegrating

This morning I was feeling much better as I recover from a very nasty cold. However, I thought I might suffer a relapse after I read this editorial in this morning's New York Times.

The NYT article paints a very bleak picture of the options now available in Iraq. What they had to say reinforces what I heard John Burns of the NYT say in an interview with Charlie Rose a few days ago. The situation is getting out of control. The middle class are heading for the passport offices. The NeoCon theory about creating a stable democracy that would be an example for other countries in the Middle East has turned out to be an illusion.

Was it Colin Powell who said that "if you break it you better be prepared to fix it?" What if you can't figure out a way to fix it?