Friday, September 15, 2006

Another blow for blue-collar workers...

This week I've been busy with my consulting practice and have not paid much attention to the news. However, one story did grab my attention. It's the mass layoff at Ford Motor Company.

I've had the opportunity to work with some people in the auto industry and they are among the best workers you'll ever find. Highly skilled and dedicated! In my view, it is not the fault of these workers that the American auto industry is in trouble...but they will pay the price.

The numbers of auto workers that will be made redundant is staggering. I keep thinking about all that lost skill and talent. Of course it's just one more blow to blue-collar workers in America. It is safe to predict that most of the workers made redundant will end up in low-pay service jobs.